Some physical schools use internet resources, such as online lessons, teacher support online, or online homework systems, but a fully online school (virtual school or cyber-school) teaches entirely or primarily through online methods. That is, physical interaction by students and teachers is unnecessary, or only supplementary. A fully online school enables individuals to earn transferable credits or to take recognised examinations, to advance to the next level of education.
Instructional models vary, ranging from distance learning types which provides study materials for independent self-paced study (asynchronous), to live, interactive classes where students or pupils work with a teacher in a class group lesson (synchronous). Class sizes range widely from a small group of 6 pupils or students, to hundreds Live lessons with personal interaction (synchronous learning) necessarily run on small groups of 6 - 30, while distance learning (asynchronous learning) can be any number, and may be very large.
The South Australian School of Design was an art school in the earliest days of the City of Adelaide, the progenitor of the South Australian School of Arts, a department of the University of South Australia.
In 1861 the South Australian School of Design was founded under the management of the Society of Arts and connected with the South Australian Institute, with Charles Hill in charge. In 1862 enrolments were low and decreasing, rising slightly to 21 students in 1863. From the beginning, students were encouraged to show their work at Society exhibitions, and special prizes were offered for members of the School. This led to much mediocre work being shown, but acted as an impetus to native talent. By 1868 there were three classes: girls, boys, and young men, with an average attendance of 25. The school moved into a larger hall at the Institute previously reserved as exhibition space, and the small schoolroom handed over to F. G. Waterhouse, curator of the Museum. A large consignment of busts and statues had been donated by the Royal Society to add to the plaster models already in use for drawing "in the round".